Alcohol poisoning is common amongst any and all drinkers— but especially those who are underage. Alcohol is new, exciting, and often used with reckless abandon when kids are given the chance. That is why it’s so important for all drinkers to understand, and be able to diagnose, alcohol poisoning. By understanding what alcohol poisoning looks like— you have a better chance of catching it early, finding treatment, and keeping that person safe. So, what can I look for as a responsible drinker to keep my friends and family safe from this deadly, yet common, issue?
Alcohol Poisoning: Diagnosis and Treatment
Alcohol poisoning is most common in those who drink too much, too quickly. However, it can also be found in children and adults who consume household products that contain alcohol as well. It will affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature, and many other aspects of your body and it’s functions. If someone you know is presenting signs of alcohol poisoning— it’s important to get help right away.
What do the symptoms look like?
Alcohol poisoning symptoms don’t have too much variation. In fact, if you’ve seen it once— you’ll likely be able to diagnose it time and time again. Heavy and frequent vomiting, slow or irregular breathing, unconsciousness, low body temperature, pale skin, and seizures are some of the most common signs that you’ll see.
What do I do when someone is showing symptoms?
Start by calling emergency services and explaining the circumstance. Furthermore, you can also call poison control while you wait, or ask the 911 operator for advice on treatment in the meantime. Give specific details if you can, such as what they were drinking, how much, and over what time period. If the person is vomiting, make sure to turn them on their side or pick them up to avoid choking. Lastly, keep them conscious until medical services arrive. When someone has alcohol poisoning, you do not want them to go to sleep— as their breathing could become very slow, or stop.
Get help, even when it’s scary
As we’ve mentioned, alcohol poisoning is very common in the underage group. You’re new to drinking, you’re having fun, and it can be easy to go overboard. However, when someone is in danger— you have to put the idea of getting in trouble to the side. Life or death is much more important than a slap on the wrist.